Labels

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

L #1- The Hunger Games

To ring in the new year, I started reading Suzanne Collins' trilogy. Both my sister and Matt have tried to convince me to read these books.  But I've held out, thinking the premise was too sickening and gruesome.  Turns out I wasn't wrong.  But neither were they.

This is the story of Katniss Everdeen, who lives in District 12 of Panem.  Each year, as a reminder of why  no district should ever try to rebel, the Capitol hosts the Hunger Games.  This is when a boy and girl from each district are placed in an arena to fight to the death.  Only one can walk away.  Katniss volunteers for the Hunger Games when her younger sister is chosen.  A boy named Peeta is chosen from her district as well.

Collins writes wonderfully.  It is a very easy read, so quick to get through.  I grew attached to Peeta and thought his devotion to Katniss was incredibly selfless and heartwarming.  I must admit, the games themselves were hard to read about.  I felt so heartbroken that children would be put in such a terrible life and death position.  And I felt disgusted with the gamemakers and the president of Panem.  While it's an "easy" read, it is not light subject matter.  Even still, I found myself engrossed and stayed up till 2 am to finish the book.

262 pages

1 comment:

  1. I was like you at first when I started hearing about them. But they are completely engrossing. I hope you continue to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete